Dr Chien-Wen Liew
MBBS, FRACS (Ortho)
Highly specialised practice in 2 fields only:
- Total Hip Replacements performed via the Direct Anterior Approach using Patient Specific Technology
- Total Knee Replacements performed with Kinematic Alignment using Patient Specific Technology
“To reduce the injury to soft tissues whilst achieving exceptional alignment, restoring balance, and improving outcomes.
Having an exceptionally focussed skillset in Hip and Knee Replacements only”
Dr Chien-Wen Liew completed his Orthopaedic Advanced Training in Adelaide and then continued his training in UK, Europe and the USA. He specialises in muscle sparing approaches to the hip and knee, shoulder pathology, as well as sports injury and trauma
His particular interest is in muscle sparing total hip replacements, where he completed a fellowship in Paris, France and has trained in this technique with world renowned surgeons in France, Switzerland, UK, USA and Australia. This approach is truly minimally invasive, requiring no cut to any muscle. Dr Liew has been involved in international collaborations with the direct anterior approach.
Dr Liew has been recognised as an Official Trainer of the Direct Anterior Approach for Total Hip Replacement Surgery, as well as Kinematic alignment with Patient Specific Technology for Total Knee Replacement Surgery – helping surgeons worldwide adopt the approach.
He was a member of the Australian Defence Force, being an Infantry Corps Platoon Commander for 10 years at 10/27 RSAR, and is currently inactive. He has a keen interest in fitness and sports.
- University of Adelaide
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Adelaide (2004) (MBBS)
- Fellowship Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (2013) (FRACS)
- Post Fellowship Training
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Hip Surgery – Performs Direct Anterior Approach Total Hip Replacement Surgery
- Knee Surgery – Utilises Patient Specific Technology for Total Knee Replacements
- Australian Medical Association
- TEGO Medical Defence
- Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- AO Trauma Membership
- Club Des Amis
PRIOR Public Appointments
- Visiting Medical Specialist Royal Adelaide Hospital
- Orthopaedics 360 – 94-96 Fullarton Rd, Norwood
- Calvary Adelaide Hospital
- St Andrews Hospital